Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Finally...FALL BREAK!!!

It's been an absolutely CRAZY couple of weeks! I've been so busy, this is the 1st time I've had to sit down and write a post. So much has happened and I've learned so much about myself. I'm so grateful for the challenges that were presented and for the opportunity to face them head on. Yes, they sucked, but I'm stronger than I was going in.

This past weekend was fall break for us fabulous SUU students! The girls and I decided that we should road trip up north to get in some shopping, family time, and lots of adventures. Needless to say, it was a fun filled weekend. When we finally got up to Spanish Fork Friday we were starving, and sick of being in the car. Fee-La's family took us out to dinner and then we walked around the mall. With Fee-La's brother. Who is an RM. And still very much awkward! I love him to death, but who would have thought that getting him to give his number to a girl who very obviously wanted it would be so hard! It was like pulling teeth. BUT he finally did, and when he was texting the rest of the weekend, he would smile and dodge our comments as to who it was. We can only hope it was the super pretty girl :) (and we're pretty sure it was!) It was fun trying to acclimate him to the real world, and this was only the first day of vacation!

Saturday started the perfect way: baptisms at the Provo temple! Such a fabulous way to start my day and with some of the best people EVER! I went with Fee-La, her brother, and one of my really good friends from home who just got back from his mission in July (he's not nearly as awkward as Fee-La's brother tho!)


That was by far the best way to start the day, but it only got better from there :) Us girls spent the rest of the day shopping and having a ridiculous amount of fun, just what I needed!! We spent hours shopping, trying on clothes we would never buy, and making fun of each other constantly. And doing a little dreaming like all girls do when they're near a jewelry or dress store. I'm not even sure how long we spent shopping, but it was totally worth it. I spent WAY too much money, but it was a great day with my girls, and that's priceless! Saturday night was about as close to perfection as I could have gotten, and it was one of those nights where nothing went according to plan! Earlier in the week, a guy I knew from home texted me asking if I'd like to go on a date with him. Super random, but I didn't get to see him at home before I left for school (he had just gotten home from his mission when I was leaving) so of course I said yes. We knew each other before, and I am really good friends with his little sister, so I was a little worried that it would be weird. It wasn't. At all. It was one of the funnest dates I've ever been on. It was super simple, but it was the company, laughter and conversation that made the night. And the fact I was at BYU never even crossed my mind. He made me dinner (major points, even though it was just tacos), and then took me on my first unofficial, official 1st tour of the campus. Really we just talked about our families, his mission, and caught up on  the past 2 years. And laughed. The. Whole. Time. It was amazing to laugh that much and be able to catch up with him :) It was a great date. So glad I went!

Sunday was a day of firsts for me. I went to a Poly ward, where I only understood maybe half of what was said, but it was AWESOME!!! I love the moments where even though you don't understand, you can feel the spirit and those are the moments that testify to the truthfulness of this Church. I love this Gospel soooo much and I know Ulli (whose farewell it was) will be an amazing missionary. After church we went to his farewell dinner. If you're ever hungry, go to a Poly's house. They will feed you till you're full and then give you seconds and a plate to take home with you. It's great! I'm not even sure of half of what I ate, but it was all so good that it didn't even matter! It was a culture explosion, but in the words of us girls, I ain't even mad!

Monday was hard. It was the 4 year anniversary of my brother's death. The girls did the best they could keeping me busy and my mind off of it, but there's only so much you can do. We got our haircut early in the day and then made our way up to Salt Lake to do some more shopping and so we could get up this morning and go to the zoo. It was still semi-early when we finished shopping so of course I wanted to walk through Temple Square.


 It was one of the best things I could have done to get through the end of the day when my mind was starting to slow down. Just being semi-close to the Temple gave me peace and I felt my brother there walking around with me. I know he's always with me, but maybe I just don't notice it as much as I should. Knowing that one day I'll have the opportunity for my husband and I to do temple work for him so we can be together for eternity is such an amazing blessing! I'm so grateful for that and for the family and friends I have now that help me through those days and remind me that everything is going to be okay. It makes me so happy and I can't wait for that day that we get to do temple work for him.

And today...we went to the zoo!!! BEST  $10 I'VE EVER SPENT!!!!!!!!!!! We were the college kids who were running around like 5 year olds and we enjoyed every single minute of it! We had so much fun and it was an amazing 3 hours. The girls day was just what I needed, and after we went to the This Is The Place monument. It was so amazing to see where Brigham Young knew that the Salt Lake valley would be where the pioneers were going to settle. And the view from up there is beautiful. Even though it was foggy and rainy, it was still gorgeous. 

Wow. It's been a a crazy week. I just realized reading this that I'm running on almost no sleep and lots of sugar! That's going to be interesting later haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment