Monday, October 29, 2012

Lessons Learned

Since I've been in college I've learned a lot. Not just stuff that is important, but things about myself, my life, my beliefs and the people I love the most. I've learned that staying up till 4 in the morning and then trying to go to class at 8 doesn't work very well. And that sometimes even a smile and a cheerful attitude can't hide the scars and emotional bruises. There's so many things I've learned. And this post is some of those things and how I've dealt with the challenges...

The first thing I learned after I moved to school: family, no matter how close or far, is one of the most important things in our lives. Family is everything to me. My family is eleven hours away, but I talk to my mom (who is my rock) on the phone almost every day, even if it's just for a few minutes. I know that my family loves and supports me unconditionally. Even if they don't understand my conversion, I'm still the woman they've grown up with and loved their whole lives. I think one of the hardest things about being away from home is that I feel like I'm missing out on things. My sister is a senior in high school this year and I'm kind of bummed I'm not there for the senior pictures, the football games, dances, late night talks and just chilling on a Saturday afternoon. Being able to talk to them and Skype has been an amazing blessing and I cannot wait to see them soon!

The second thing I learned: a hug can turn your whole day around. Not just a quick hug, but a hug where you just stand there and soak it in. One of those hugs where you never want to let go and the whole world seems to stop for those few moments. Those have been some of the most treasured moments I've had since coming to school. And I'm so lucky to have the support system and the friends that I do that can give me those hugs when I need them. I know how lucky I am to have the people in my life that I do. I have met some of the most amazing people in the few short months I've been here, and I wouldn't trade them for the world (even if I still don't understand guys and their stupid emotions!)

The  third thing I learned: say 'I love you', say it a lot and really mean it when you say it. Not just to your friends and family, but those people who've taken the time to break down the walls you've built up and actually care about you. Those are the people who are going to be there for you no matter what and who want the best for you. Even if they can't be there for you. There are people in your life that enter at a specific time for a specific reason and only Heavenly Father knows why. Which is hard for me sometimes because I'm a planner and I always want to know exactly what's going on and I don't do well with not knowing what's going on.

The fourth thing I've learned: your friends are family. You just get to pick them. My two best friends are seriously sometimes the only things that keep me sane and going during the hard weeks. I don't know what I'd do without them. They're my therapist, my cheering section, my conscience, and my partners in crime. We seriously spend so much time together and they're who I go to when I'm having a hard day or I'm mad at a guy or my emotions are on a roller coaster. They keep me centered and I'm pretty sure I'd go crazy without them. Add in the guys we hang out with all the time, and I've got the best group of friends ever! I've never laughed harder, had more memories made or spent more time with any group of people. It's amazing!

The fifth thing I've learned: Heavenly Father has a plan. Even if we don't know what it is, there's a plan in place. Sometimes the path may be hard and there may be a lot of twists and turns, Heavenly Father will always be guiding us. I know that if I strive to live temple worthy and marry in the temple, that Heavenly Father will always be with me. That's a fact. Sometimes the temptation is there (especially being a convert), but I know that if I stay true, I'll be okay and I'll come out stronger. Reading my scriptures and going to church makes things easier and I know that the support system will always be there. In D&C 25:12 it says:
For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads. 
This is one of my favorite scriptures. It keeps me going on those hard days and I know that through prayer we can get the answers we need and those are the answers and promptings we need to trust. That's one of the biggest blessings I've been able to receive since being baptized.

I can only hope that as I continue on this journey that I remember these lessons and learn more. These lessons have taught me so much and I've only been at school for a few months. I'm sure I'll learn more as I go, and I promise to keep you guys updated. Who knows what the next adventure will be or what I'll learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment